Mission: To help elementary-school children enhance their academic, organizational and social skills by providing high-quality after-school programs in Claremont Unified School District neighborhoods.
In five neighborhood programs, CLASP provides safe, fun, friendly, and supportive settings for academically at-risk children from all of Claremont’s public elementary schools, so that they may gain the academic guidance and personal mentoring they need to be successful in school and in life. The programs offer homework help, recreation, enrichment activities, and healthy snacks for two hours per day, three days a week.
FALL, 2021 UPDATE – CLASP to begin the week of September 20, 2021
This fall CLASP will open with four in-person tutoring sites and three online tutoring sites. The in-person programs will meet for one and a half hours including snack time and 75 minute tutoring sessions. Due to COVID-19 limitations, bus transportation will not be offered. Everyone while inside a CLASP site will be required to wear a mask.
Student enrollment will take place at Claremont Presbyterian Church, 1111 N. Mountain Avenue, Claremont, 91711 from 1:00 PM to 6:00 PM on August 31, September 1 and 2.
Volunteer orientation sessions will take place at the sites the week of September 13.
The following COVID-19 protocols will be in place for in-person tutoring sites:
- Masks are required for all participants while indoors and encouraged while outdoors
- Staff and volunteer tutors must show proof of completed vaccination
- Hand washing will be required upon entrance to the site
- Tutoring pairs will be socially distanced from other pairs in the room
- Social distancing will be requested during snack time
- Voluntary free PCR tests will be available for students, parents, CLASP staff and volunteers at Claremont High School on Thursday evenings from 4 – 7 PM. See the CUSD website for specific details.
- Non-vaccinated tutors and students who cannot wear masks may participate in the online tutoring sites.
The CLASP staff and Board of Directors have taken into consideration many lessons learned over the past year of online tutoring to create a program that will allow the youngest students to have in-person homework help. Our older students have enhanced computer skills to work with a tutor online. We look forward to welcoming our students and volunteers back to our sites, while others will be paired for online homework help and academic support.
Without my tutor I would probably get my homework done, but I wouldn’t understand it.
CLASP is a real life changer. Before I was in CLASP I would never do my homework but when I entered the CLASP tutoring I started doing my homework.
I love my tutor because when I come into the classroom ….I am the happiest person on earth, because when I don’t know how to do it, she teaches me in a way that nobody else does.